Thursday, April 29, 2010

MOTHERHOOD



What does motherhood feel like? I don't know. Is it a wave of exhaustion at the end of the day? Is it a well of emotion when you least expect it? Is it a shared joy of a new skill being mastered? Is it the pain of achy muscles? Is it the joy serving a meal that is devoured in minutes with pleas for more (even if it is noodles)? Is it seeing little people enjoy the simplest things in life? Is it feeling like you are an employee at a laundry service? Is it feeling like a motivational speaker who is substituting in an elementary school class? I wonder often if I feel like a mother. I don't know what other mothers feel like. Is it a constant feeling or does it come and go? Can you forget that you are a mother? I think some people do. I have become very observant of other mothers lately. How do they respond to their kids? What do they consider to be important things to teach their kids? How do they teach those things? Do all mothers have the same fears, failures and shortcomings? Is it ok to make mistakes? These are the things the fill my thoughts lately as I approach my first official Mother's Day. Will I feel different that day? I hope so. It is hard to say what I will feel like. I can only imagine how other mothers feel. I know that on that day I will have something to celebrate. I will celebrate the fact that my two ninos are safe and sound and loved. They are precious gifts that I cherish and thank God for every day. I nearly cry when I think of what they have lived through and experienced in their lives. I want to make every day a joyous celebration of life for them. They are my joy, my reward, my life!

5 comments:

Dan and Karen said...

It's all that and more!

Anne said...

Karen's right :).

Marshall L. Daigre said...

"Her children stand and bless her...Let her deeds publicly declare her praise." -- Proverbs 28a; 31b

_Marshall Daigre_

The Jensen Family said...

Beautifully spoken. I hope your Mother's Day was all you hoped it to be.

Traci

Chris and Mary said...

I had a great Mother's Day.